Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pursuing the truth of the health matter


There is no possible way I can conclude the past two to three days. The days now run one into the other and it has been obscenely divine. It seems that each day has run into the other.
I have met NGO directors, city and state officials, trying to construct the picture of what goes on in the relationship between all of these actors, and how that plays out for the people.
Everyone seems to know what they think the problems are and what they want to see change. However, a lot of these goals do not coincide with the other.
My dilemma is as such: who has the best opinion on the matter? How do I decide what is best for a program when many different opinions within the same community and health work not decide on the most acute needs of the people? So many questions that I have time to answer. I'm so fortunate to make the contacts that I have.
In the past few days after visiting heads of NGOs (some called the best to work with from the government) have some of the most vague and detached strategies designed for the people. I dont know.. Maybe it's because they don't have to live in the communities they serve(?) SO many years of aid--I have to better understand their strategy. It's still not penetrating my mind...

In the past days I was able to look at the school situation as well and view how critical the need is for greater educational opportunities in general. Hundreds of students sit in front of a single teacher, listening intently. At least [?] these students are in a classroom. As I think I said before, 50% of the students have to attend their classes beneath a tree (pictured above). The hundreds of students sit silently and copy from the board--hopefully there is chalk. Hundreds. That adds up to thousands. And countrywide, millions.
And we thought education was lacking in America....sorry..there's no comparison. There is absolutely no comparing the situation. Nothing to compare one life in America to one life here. There is no comparing.
The kids are amazingly vivacious and beautiful. No really, the are flawlessly beautiful. A bias? I think not. (:

I finally visited the area in which I would be able to have my classroom. The people were amazing. I fudged through words and they all graciously smiled and welcomed my presence--with a faroff promise that I would return in a year from now, inshallah. So much potential exists for anyone here who wants to serve--as with many places--but truly, this is starting from nothing. I could not imagine a place with more opportunity to make a difference--such a vast difference by simply sharing the knowledge we have. Of course, it would help a ton if you spoke Portuguese. But, if you live in the U.S. and speak even an ounce of Spanish, you're a good portion of the way there. Any more skill, and you'll be fluent in 2 weeks ;)
After a two hour and some conversation with Pastor Joao last night at dinner, we concluded that technology will be our best friend in the process of bringing education to these people. Imagine what we could do with a projector, with a computer, with a printer, with a laminater, with an internet connection! The world is then Matola's! The whole world--at the fingertips of a rural living, twenty-something teacher in one of the poorest nations of the world. And, what? Dynamic education designated for the community. Plays. Community programs, designed, performed and produced by the community.
Okay, I'm not trying to write a 21st century manifesto and have a cultish way of saying--we must use the tools we can to make this world a better place, man. If not, what's the point? What is the point? What is the point? We can't take it with us. We're simply using it whilst we are here.
Alright, let's be honest, I'm writing this to be able to remind myself of all of this. Please please please don't read this and say, 'That Andreaperson is really practicing what she preaches'. I mean, we're human. Mistakes and humanness on the road of everything. Please, I just ask you, pick me up when I fall and when I doubt. I feel like this is reminiscent of Nina Simone "Misunderstood". Let's just hope, together, we can wring truth out of the words in our own lives.

Yeah, I don't know where this is going right now, but know that its been an incredibly eye opening time for me and phenomenally excellent for the research portion. I love Mozambique and God willing, I will return in under a year with a great plan to help the people. I have to be awake in 6hours...whoops.

I leave you with my doling of 15secs of celebrity--but only because they made me feel like a celebrity because they felt like one. Now they are! Celebs on your own screen. :) com amor


No comments: